Innovative companies in the UK will have access to a record £440 million of funding this year as the Technology Strategy Board steps up its commitment to driving economic growth. The investment was confirmed this week by Universities and Science Minister David Willetts and represents an increase of more than £50 million year on year.
The package forms part of the Government’s Innovation and Research Strategy for Growth, which has been published today. It sets out plans to boost growth through substantial investment in research and innovation across the UK.
Key actions announced today by the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) include:
- A new online business advisor training tool that will give advisors the skills and information they need to help businesses protect the value of their intellectual property.
- An online register of advisors to help businesses find the right advisor for them quickly and easily.
- Consulting businesses, business advisors and IP specialists about how lower cost IP legal and commercial advice can be provided.
- Offering free intellectual property audits to businesses through routes such as the Technology Strategy Board.
- Enhancing existing schemes such as mediation to provide a more efficient dispute resolution service that can prevent potentially costly legal cases.